Update June 15, 2013- Downtown Express is confirming that there is now no longer any child on the kindergarten waitlist in Downtown. Also, PS 150 likely will not move.
Update June 11, 2013– By Steven E. Greer, MD
PS 89 recently opened a 4th kindergarten class to make room for the kids on the waitlist. However, the PS 276 waitlist remained. We have learned that PS 89 has now opened a 5th kindergarten class, possibly allowing PS 276 waitlisted kids to move in. We are awaiting comment from the school.
Update May 17, 2013– By Steven E. Greer, MD
PS 89 opened another kindergarten class, and all of the parents on the waitlist seem to have been offered spots. The school wrote, “Hi everyone, You will be happy to hear that PS 89 is opening a 4th kindergarten class for next year. We are able to offer all of your children seats at PS 89. Please let me know if you are accepting this offer, and then we will make an appointment for you to bring your child to school and pre-register. I hope we are able to register everyone by the end of next week. We do registration in the mornings between 9 and 11, so if you let me know what day is good, I will arrange it. Thank you for your patience throughout this process. I am very pleased that we are able to welcome you and your child to PS 89.”
The other school in Battery Park, PS 276, is still not planning on opening another kindergarten class. The waitlist there remains unresolved.
Update May 3, 2013– Some students in PS 150, which is now scheduled to be relocated out of Tribeca, are applying to PS 89. They have been given spots at the top of the waitlist.
According to PS 89, “The K registration period is over, and we have heard from everyone who was accepted at PS 89. There will be no movement on the wait list this week….Some of you may have heard about the changes planned for PS 150 in Tribeca. Due to these changes, four families who were accepted to PS 89 and PS 150 and registered at PS 150 have changed their minds and want to register their children at PS 89. The Office of Student Enrollment has instructed us to put those four families at the top of the wait list, since they contacted us before the enrollment period was over….At this point, I do not expect to hear of any movement of the wait list until the Gifted & Talented offers are made in June. I will continue to send you updates.”
April 25, 2013- By Steven E. Greer 9:16 AM
A local mother posted a comment on a parent chatboard that stated the Department of Education will be moving PS 150 next year, 2014, and moving it to 17th street and 6th avenue turning it into a much larger school, accommodating 560 students. She stated that parents are concerned because this new school, farther away, will drive more parents to attempt to enroll in the already overcrowded Tribeca and BPC schools.
Meanwhile, two meetings this week, one at the CB1 and one at PS 89, failed to attract any elected officials and resulted in no tangible achievements. The overflow schools are still yet to be determined and no new classes will be added to accommodate the waitlists.